Dundalk’s Stephen O’Donnell at the 2016 PFA Player of the Year Award nominations.
Source: Morgan Treacy/INPHO
- Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny has admitted fixture congestion is taking its toll on his ‘exhausted’ players ahead of the club’s Europa League game against Zenit St Petersburg on Thursday. Meanwhile, there will be a full house at Tallaght Stadium after the Lilywhites announced the fixture is a sell-out.
- Former Kerry All-Ireland-winning minor Gaelic football captain Mark O’Connor has agreed to join AFL club Geelong on a two-year international rookie deal.
- Munster have shared their gratitude with the rugby community in the wake of Anthony Foley’s death as the province works towards Saturday’s Champions Cup fixture against Glasgow.
- Leinster fly-half Johnny Sexton faces a race against time to prove his fitness for his province’s Champions Cup visit to Montpellier on Sunday.
- The top two in the SSE Airtricity Premier Division, Dundalk and Cork City, dominate this year’s PFAI Team and Player of the Year shortlists.
- Mayo man Pearce Hanley has completed his move to the Gold Coast Suns from their Queensland AFL rivals the Brisbane Lions.
- The new stand at Tallaght Stadium, which is being funded by South Dublin County Council, will cost €1.9m plus VAT.
Adrian Doherty in action for Manchester United.
Source: EMPICS Sport
- An uphill battle is expected at next year’s Tour de France after the course, which will feature climbs of the Vosges, Jura, Pyrenees, Centra Massif and Alps regions, was unveiled today.
- A book on former Manchester United and Northern Ireland football prodigy Adrian Doherty is one of seven titles on the shortlist for the William Hill Sports Book of the Year Award.
- Uncapped Ospreys duo Sam Davies and Rory Thornton have been included in Wales’ 36-man squad for next month’s home internationals against Australia, Argentina, Japan and South Africa.
- At 51 years old boxing legend Bernard Hopkins insists he is ready to retire after his fight in December against Joe Smith.
- The UFC has denied claims by Georges St-Pierre that he is no longer under contract with the promotion.
- The Cleveland Indians overcame the loss of starting pitcher Trevor Bauer to defeat the Toronto Blue Jays 4-2 last night and move to the brink of the World Series.
The Best Thing We Shared
Two young chancers managed to talk their way on to Team GB’s ‘Heroes Parade’ yesterday afternoon with their plastic medals and replica tracksuits.
On The Record
I was absolutely knackered at half-time. I came in and got sick in the sinks at Croke Park. It raised eyebrows a little bit. It took a long time to get back up to that level.
Dublin forward Paul Mannion revealed the difficulties he faced in getting back up to speed earlier this season after spending the 2015 campaign in China and Chicago.
Where we were today
Ryan Bailey was at Leinster Rugby HQ for a press conference ahead of their Champions Cup visit to Montpellier on Sunday.
Get closer to the stories that matter with exclusive analysis, insight and debate in The42 Membership.
Become a Member
A solemn Mike Ross talks to the press at today’s press conference.
Source: Donall Farmer/INPHO
The Fixture List
- Tomorrow night is another busy one in the Champions League with eight fixtures down for decision. Arsenal host Ludogorets Razgrad in Group A while Pep Guardiola takes Manchester City to the familiar surroundings of the Nou Camp to face Barcelona in Group C. Celtic entertain Borussia Monchengladbach in the other Group C tie. Elsewhere, it’s Paris Saint-Germain v Basel; Dynamo Kiev v Benfica; Napoli v Besiktas; Bayern Munich v PSV Eindhoven and FC Rostov v Atletico Madrid (all 7.45pm).
- There are also two games tomorrow night in England’s Championship (both 7.45pm) — Cardiff v Sheffield Wednesday and Preston v Huddersfield.
Now this is how you turn defence into attack…
The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!