Spurs are yet to make a signing in the current transfer window and the club’s chairman has come under fire from supporters with time running out
Criticisms levelled at Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy over the club’s lack of transfer acquisitions is “grossly unfair”, according to executive director Donna-Marie Cullen, as the deadline for dealings in the Premier League nears.
Click Here: Geelong Cats Guernsey
With less than two weeks until the current window shuts for English-based clubs, Spurs are yet to recruit a single player for the coming season, despite manager Mauricio Pochettino previously stating a desire to see any new arrivals secured sooner rather than later.
Fans believe that Levy, the longest-serving chairman in the top-flight, is reluctant to part with large sums of money to match the spending of rivals Chelsea and Arsenal, but Cullen, speaking to reporters in the USA where Spurs are competing in the International Champions Cup, stresses that this is not the case.
“Daniel works closely with the managers and always has done,” Cullen told reporters, addressing the speculation.
“We are no different to other clubs in not necessarily being able to acquire who might be top of your list for whatever reason. There are so many other moving parts in that whole scenario.
“Sometimes there’s a degree of frustration at how much is written [about him] that isn’t accurate. But what you get with him is he is so focused on delivering for this club — and that’s why any of us who work around him think it’s grossly unfair.
“If he was a chairman who came out and spoke every time there was an assertion that we weren’t comfortable with, you guys would stop listening after a while.
“When he does speak he does it because he’s got something to say rather than just responding. He is so modest, shy and understated and it’s never about him.”
Asked about Pochettino’s opinion on the lack of incoming players, Cullen also dispelled the notion that the manager had any nerves about the situation as the end of the transfer window looms.
“Mauricio is very relaxed,” she added. “I also think there was a misinterpretation of his comments [at the end of last season]. He will say that what he said was not about going out and spending money.”
Tottenham conclude their ICC campaign against Milan at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Tuesday before flying back to Europe for a final friendly with Girona.
They then kick-off their Premier League campaign away to Newcastle at St James’ Park on August 11.